Operation Scilohotep

So, the other day I’m going through my WordPress.com Blog Stats (love that plugin) and I come across the incoming link from the WoW forums. Hmm, this is interesting. I have this blog in my signature but I rarely visit the forums and even more rarely post something in them. I’m going to go check it out…

What I find is basically a flame war (not the worst one I’ve seen but one nonetheless) and someone has posted a link to my blog right in the middle of it! A character named Drotara…wait a minute, I know that name. A few seconds later, I figure it out…you!

I’m surprised by the whole thing. Not mad or anything, just surprised and a little flattered. After all, I’m not the only hunter blog out there yet he only mentions me. So I get this idea…an idea for a reciprocal surprise …Operation Scilohotep.

Phase 1: Creation – January 22, 2008, 11:02 PM

I know which server Drotara is on and that he plays a male orc hunter. So I create an complimentary female orc hunter named Scilohotep. Nothing fancy, just something to get the job done.

Making Scilohotep (the orc)

Phase 2: Initiation – January 22, 2008, 11:07 PM

I log on with her and…Drotara’s in Karazhan. I may not raid but I do know that that’s a dungeon so he’s probably busy. I won’t disturb him now. Unfortunately I have to go to bed so the next phase will have to wait.

The next day, I log onto the young orc hunter, only to discover that Drotara’s not online.

Phase 2, Plan B – January 23, 2008, 5:46PM

He’s possibly playing his Alliance characters so I create another Scilohotep on that server, this time a female Draenei hunter. Because I like the Draeneis best out of all the Alliance races. She enters the world of Azeroth only to find neither of his Alliance characters online. I’m beginning to feel like a stalker *shifty eyes*

Scilohotep (the draenei) enters Azeroth to find no oneโ€™s home :(

Phase 3: Contact – January 24, 2008, 9:52 PM

This time, there’s a nice queue waiting for me as I try to connect to Drotara’s server. Oh, it says 6 minutes on the screenshot but it took more like 13 minutes. I’m patiently wait through it but I’m glad that this isn’t my normal server.

Waiting in lineโ€ฆ

Scilohotep the orc logs on to find Drotara in Sethekk Halls. Hmm…must be some part of the Outland I haven’t heard of yet. That means I won’t be interrupting him if we chat! I whisper him and strike up a conversation…

Proof that we chatted in case no one believes me

Here’s the chat that I recorded with a nifty little mod called AutoChatLog (edited for spelling mistakes >.<):

Scilohotep: Hi! I’m a fan of your blog and I just wanted to drop in and say hello :)
Drotara: Oh thanks. ๐Ÿ˜€ I always wonder if anyone reads it. :)
Scilohotep: No problem. I subscribe to the feed so I get every post. They’re a really good read. :)
Drotara: I am glad you like it. ๐Ÿ˜€
Scilohotep: Funny thing is, you’ll probably know me. See if you can guess it from my name.
Drotara: Hmmm
Scilohotep: I’ll give you a hint…read it backwards.
Drotara: Oooh! Hey hey!
Drotara: Petoholics Anonymous!
Scilohotep: LOL, right on the dot, man!
Drotara: That’s awesome you came by to say hi. ๐Ÿ˜€
Scilohotep: Well, I noticed that you pasted my URL in the WoW Forums (in that spirit wolf flame war) and it surprised me so I thought that I’d surprise you :)
Drotara: Yeah, some of those people. Can’t wrap their head around things that might be fun.
Scilohotep: They are entitled to their opinion but they were QQing just as much as they said we were, LOL
Drotara: For sure. Hehe
Scilohotep: Just out of curiousity, why did you post my blog of all the ones you could have chosen…like your own?
Drotara: Your blog was an example of someone who enjoys doing things like taming pets for fun, rather than min/maxing stats
Scilohotep: Hmm, I suppose so. Well, thank you for that. It was nice to get the attention, albeit unexpected as it was. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Drotara: Haha :)
Drotara: Your welcome. I enjoy reading your blog a lot.
Scilohotep: Thanks. I try ๐Ÿ˜‰
Scilohotep: And just so you know…this is so going in the blog, lol
Drotara: Haha awesome. ๐Ÿ˜€
Scilohotep: Well, I’ll let you get back to whatever you were doing. Have fun and see you around ๐Ÿ˜€
Drotara: You too! Thanks for stopping by!
Scilohotep: You’re most welcome. I’ll go down in history as your first fan visit, lol
Drotara: Indeed you are!
Scilohotep: lol. Later :) *bows deeply before you*

It was awesome talking with Drotara and I hope I get to do again sometime…maybe with another unsuspecting reader or blogger. *flashes a big toothy grin as she surveys everyone*

Of course, he beat me to the punch on posting about this but that’s alright because I know I’m slow on these things. However, I found out that Sethekk Halls is actually a dungeon and that I interrupted him in the middle of it.

/headdesk

I can be such a n00b sometimes. Sorry, man!

1. Posted January 30, 2008 at 6:16 am | Permalink

Heehee. Love the backwards name!

2. Posted January 30, 2008 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Yeah, typing it backwards was about as inventive as I got :P. I just realized how many smileys we used in that conversation…13 total!