Here’s to good memories

I’m sure by now a lot of you know of Blacky, Niqora’s black wolf pet. I did not name her Blacky because I am that unimaginative :) As I have mentioned briefly before, the wolf is named after my RL black Labrador retriever. The real Blacky passed away on May 15 of last year. She was my best friend for 14 and a half years. In honour of her, I would like to tell you who exactly she was.

There are some souls that can never be kept down, no matter what happens to them. Blacky was one of those souls. She was always so full of life that even when she was far into her years, I would still call her my pup. Her bones could be sore from her mild arthritis but she would walk up to greet me with her little jump and toss of her head. The two of us had a special connection that is hard to describe. We understood each other in a way, with sidelong looks and an intuition of what the other was thinking or going to do.

There were many times when I was feeling down or I just needed her company so I would go into the garage where her bed was (she was an outside dog) and just spend some time petting her. Even on the coldest winter days I would do that. We both enjoyed these little pockets of time together and sometimes when I would start to get up, she would clamp her paw down on my leg hard, telling me to stay put and pet her some more. I would always chuckle when she did that.

My parents always said that she was a “people dog”, which contrasted with me being an “animal person”. If there were people hanging around, that’s where you would find her. She would saunter from person to person, eliciting pats with a wag of her tail. She was never one to bark much; instead she would whine and moan and nuzzle her head against your hip or hand to get attention. A large chunk of her time was spent on our back deck, where she could lay in the sun and watch us through the glass sliding door that led to the kitchen.

She also liked food…a lot. I know that everyone says you’re not suppose to feed a dog human food but my family disregarded that rule. There was always scraps for Blacky after dinner, usually bones from meat. We could even give her chicken bones as she was smarter than most dogs and knew how to chew them so that they wouldn’t splinter. In addition, if I was eating something and she was anywhere near me, I would always share with her (except chocolate which is poisonous to dogs). During hot dog roasts outside, I would give her up to a third of what I ate. She would always sit by me whenever my family was eating outside. She knew who would give her the most food :)

She was not a fan of toys like most dogs. In RL, it would kill me to have to harm an animal but Blacky’s favorite activity was hunting. Anything that wasn’t human or canine was fair game. It was not something that was ever taught to her, she was just a natural born hunter. Both of her prey included rodents from nearby fields and the occasional unfortunate sparrow that came to our numerous birdfeeders. Having said that, she was unafraid to tackle bigger obstacles, including deer, cows, and yes, she once chased a 200 pound black bear from our yard. She never did manage to catch any of these larger targets but that sure didn’t stop her from trying.

I could go on and on about my beautiful (as I also called her), but I think I will save those stories for another time. You should know that Blacky now rests peacefully in my parents’ backyard, under the maple tree close to the house. I imagine she still enjoys sunning on the deck, or stalking birds that visit the bird feeder in the maple tree. I miss her more than I can explain but part of me takes solace in the fact that she no longer has to worry about her aching bones and ageing body, and can run and prance and toss her head without feeling pain.

I wouldn’t be who I am today without you, pup. You were the most important factor in me becoming me. My memory may be poor but I could never ever forget you. Here’s to you, my beautiful, and all the joy and knowledge you brought to me.

1. Posted May 20, 2008 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

I’ve never had such a friend. You’re quite lucky for that.

/hug Faeldray

Sellia’s last blog post…It’s time …

2. Posted May 20, 2008 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Sorry for your loss. Those types of relationships where you don’t even have to say anything and can just feel better by having each other around are really special. I have always liked those types of connections with pets – where you can’t really speak to each other but can communicate really well. It’s amazing that the smallest things that they do can make you feel so much better. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories.

althoran’s last blog post…A Forsaken smiled!?!

3. Posted May 21, 2008 at 7:18 am | Permalink

I cried reading this. You’re so lucky to have had such a wonderful companion, as she was to have you. ((hugs))

Softi’s last blog post…Not been up to *that* much…

4. Posted May 21, 2008 at 8:56 am | Permalink

What a gorgeous creature! I’m glad she had a good life with you. =)

Pike’s last blog post…But They Are Lovely Glasses…

5. Posted May 21, 2008 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Aww…you made me cry. *sniff*
    That was beautiful Faeldray. Thank you for sharing Blacky’s story.

Nina’s last blog post…What’s Your Roleplaying IQ? Part I

6. Aaron
    Posted May 21, 2008 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

I fully understand what you had with your beautiful pup,
    My pup is 14 years old and has leucemia and also has bad hips, My pup is the type that when i entered the house she comes to see me first and nudges my hand when i am upset. She would look at me and i as well her and knew exacly what each other was thinking and feeling, I have a feeling her time is almost up cause she is loosing weight preaty fast and I can tel she is getting tired. she never leaves my side she is sleeping on the floor beside me as i am typing this. she goes to bed and wakes up with me. There is nothing like having a friend like the kind you can find in a special puppy Its almost like they take all your pain on themselfs so you dont have to and they never think twice about giving it back and is always happy with it. I hope your doing well and I am sorry for your loss sounds like you had the same type of connection with your friend as i do mine. if not the same the around the same lines… take care and let your life be full of lots of love

7. Posted May 22, 2008 at 7:52 am | Permalink

I hate to hear it when someone’s pet passes away, especially a Labrador.

As a Guide dog puppy raiser I’ve raised 11 puppies now and had to give them all up after a year with the exception of my last one, a black and tan German Shepherd named “Thunder” who passed away on Thanksgiving after a long 12 years of life.

They truly are like family and there isn’t a day goes by where you don’t miss them and all the wonderful things that they did.

I feel for you and your loss, and I will leave you a link here to a special poem on my Guide dog Puppy Raiser web site that is very touching and says it all.

http://thepuppyplace.org/page5.html (A Dog’s Prayer)

Take Care and keep those memories!!

8. Posted May 22, 2008 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Memories last forever. She’ll always be with you. A touching post, Faeldray. I am not looking forward to the day I have to say goodbye to my pets. My first dog still lives with my mom. Her name is Cricket…a big black mutt of a dog. Always happy and eager to say hello. She’s 13 now and gray on her muzzle. I still call her Poochy.

ong among many’s last blog post…Wrath Makes You Choose

9. Posted May 22, 2008 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Thank you for sharing a warm-hearted and touching story. It’s pretty neat that you can login and have her next to you in pixelated form. :)

Mama Druid’s last blog post…Naming your character: Azeroth Languages

10. Posted May 22, 2008 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Oh gosh, thank you for this. Really beautiful.

Here I am at work with tears in my eyes.

I had a Siamese cat, Buffy. She and I had a “language.” When I would come home from school, there was a wailing meow from my bedroom that meant, “is that you?” I’d answer back and she’d come running. There were particular meows that meant pet me, or feed me, etc. It’s been twenty years since she passed and I still miss her

Rabbit’s last blog post…Crumpets?

11. Posted May 23, 2008 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Thank you all for your wonderful comments and for being so understanding. Many people look at me funny and say “It’s just a dog” so it’s good to know that I’m not alone in my thinking. You are a wonderful bunch and you help keep me going.

I will be telling more Blacky stories in the future because I enjoy reminiscing all our time together and I always make me feel better. Plus she was such a silly and interesting dog that you all will probably appreciate her little quirks.

12. Posted March 1, 2009 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

I had a black lab/mut mix growing up named Tike. He had to have been my very best friend while he was alive. Needless to say, I cried the day he died.

I have a white huntress cat (Winterspring) that I named Tike in his honor. At times I think of taming a blackish dog model and naming him Tike. We’ll just have to see what happens I guess.

Great blog btw! I found you through Aspect of the Hare.

Z

13. Pookii
    Posted March 6, 2009 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

/blinks back tears

I could not keep from crying while I read this because it is exactly how I felt about my own black lab Rafael. We named him after the ninja turtle and he died when he was 12. Every time I think of him, i start to tear up (like now).

To know a love like that, it’s a blessing.