What does your pet(s) mean to you?

I have much planned in terms of post updates and blog redesigns (who knows when I’ll actually pull myself away from WoW to do it all) but one issue has been nagging me for a while: what your pet(s) mean to you.

Now I’ve seen people run clear across Azeroth at the wee level of 10. They try their best to dodge enemies that would one-shot them but usually end up dying and respawning multiple times. If they’re lucky enough, they can convince a high-level friend to escort them, usually with promises of cake. These are the people who use PetEmote religiously, even if they aren’t a roleplayer. And heaven forbid that you kill their pet because you will suffer the full fury of their wrath.

But then I have also come across other hunters who don’t seem to give a rat’s arse about their beastly companion. Their pet is usually named something incredibly silly or demeaning, if they name it at all (not to say that silly pet names automatically equals no pet love). They will /slap or swear at their pet when it does something wrong (considering that we hunters have a LOT of control over our pets, I fail to see how our pets can screw up on their own outside of a glitch). Or even better yet, some of these hunters never bring out their pet, not even if there’s no reason not to have it out.

It should be pretty obvious to all of my readers that I fall into the first group. If the title “Petoholics” wasn’t a dead give away. 🙂 All of my pets on all of my hunters mean something to me in one way or another, even if it’s only that the pet just “feels right” with that character. And I’ll be the first to admit that I’m extremely attached to at least one pet of mine.

So you can imagine how my jaw just drops when I encounter the 2nd kind of hunters. Pets are such an integral part of our class and they are unique even compared to the other pet classes. We have to cart around food for our furry friends and feed it to them regularly, sometimes at extremely unconvient times. They don’t level automatically with us. And they come in so many shapes and colours that it boggles the mind. Oh, and the things we can go through just to get the one that our heart desires. I can’t even comprehend treating my pets like crap.

Maybe I’m just being my normal weird self. But either way, I want to know what you other hunters think about this. What do your pet(s) mean to you? Why do some hunters treat their pets differently than others? This is a meme for all hunters, bloggers or not. Post your response on your blog or write up a comment on this here post. Either way, I want to know what the community thinks. You know my opinion, what’s yours?

1. Posted March 6, 2009 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

Well said Niqo, well said.

And drat it all, you’ve got me treking back to Ashenvale and RFK after old friends. Its worth it I guess. Can’t think of anyone else I’d rather have with me though. 🙂

Tzia´s last blog post…Spark – What does your pet(s) mean to you?

2. KC
    Posted March 6, 2009 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

I actually started hunting for Loque’nahak again a week or so ago — and stopped after one day because I missed my main cat way too much and didn’t want to have to choose between them. And I can’t bring myself to give up the owl I haven’t pulled out of the stable since 3.0 went live.

KC´s last blog post…Missed connections

3. Ziboo
    Posted March 7, 2009 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Love hunters mainly because of the pets, although I tend to think of them more of hunting companions. Each of my hunters has a special pet or two that was selected (yeah for Petopia) specifically for him or her.

Although I will admit two Alliance hunters have Echeyakee that is still called cat as a good name hasn’t come up yet! Which is stupid as I have scrolls to rename in the bank. /sigh

Those second type of hunters . . . there are words for those ones!

4. Posted March 7, 2009 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

You know how I feel on this one, but for the other folks out there…. Why bother to be a hunter if you don’t care about or even want your pet?

Mysthowl\´s last blog post…Old School

5. Posted March 8, 2009 at 6:22 am | Permalink

Why bother to be a hunter if you don’t care about or even want your pet?

Couldn’t agree more. My pet is more than a means to an end. i just don’t feel like I’m soloing when I have a pet. I leveled with my ghost saber, Shimmer all the way from level 20 until I tamed Loque’nahak. I have a windserpent and King Mukla but I like my cats.

Gebeorgan\´s last blog post…Loque’nahak

6. Ticalos
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 8:05 am | Permalink

Well I don’t think you can limit the pet realm to just hunters. As a Death Knight I too have a pet. I don’t get to name him/her (depends on who or what I rez him from at the time) for various and unfair reasons but I care for my pet too. I can also interact with my pet. I pet him, he tells me he likes shiny things or he likes to buy and trade, give or tak. You just can’t fake that kind of caring. When he gnaws on my enemies and stuns them so I can finish them off. It just brings a little tear to the corner of my eye, cause that tells me he cares….

All kidding aside. A true hunter’s pet is a reflection of the hunter himself. They share a part of each other. To treat your pet unkindly is disrespecting yourself and your pet. For those that do not treat their pets right. I wish Blizz had a tool that caught constant mistreatment causing the pet to make a rude gesture at his hunter. Kick his butt just a bit then disappear. THEN the hunter gets a debuff that won’t allow him to tame or call a pet for 24 hours, much like the scaredy cat buff you get for leaving BG’s before they are done. My apologies for the wall o’ text.

7. Posted March 12, 2009 at 11:41 am | Permalink

@ Ziboo: I do know what you mean about waiting for the perfect name to come to mind. Sometimes you just can’t think of one right off the bat and you don’t want to misname your pet. Even if you do have those renaming scrolls, it still wouldn’t feel quite right. But then again I’m weird that way. 😛

@ Ticalos: LMAO! THAT would be the awesomest debuff EVER.

8. Posted March 13, 2009 at 11:23 am | Permalink

I dont know about this pet emote, but i did run from the exodar to loch modan for a black bear thats still in my stables. Gotta get him from 75 to 80 ive just been lazy.

I love my pets, and I take great pains when choosing a new pet. Many pet choices are permanent, such as my bear, cat, turtle, and rhino. I grabbed a gorilla due to their awesomeness, but now that thunderstomp is up for all tenacity pets, i have one slot to fill, and I cant for the life of me settle on what it might be.

ihlos\´s last blog post…Pet Feat: Sapphiron Main Tanked (Heroic)

9. Arganor
    Posted February 9, 2010 at 5:12 am | Permalink

When BC went live, I rolled a Draenei Hunter.. The moment he could tame a beast, I convinced a buddy of mine to strip nekkid and die our way to Silvermoon.

I still have the Dragonhawk.

But my Ravager’s my favorite, the crazy alien demonspawn. I did replace him for a different skin.. I just claim he went through puberty.

Arcturis and Gondria were pure luck.

I’m willing to dismiss the lynx if I find Skoll.

I want more pet slots.