Healing lazers go pewpew

Remember less than 2 weeks ago when I was complaining about how I can never seem to find a leveling partner that sticks with me? Well Kazi so kindly offered his warlock to level with my shammy Zulrea and in that small time frame, we’ve gone from level 33 to dinging 51 last night. I have to admit that I never thought Zulrea would get that high, at least that fast. I figured she was going to mull around the 30s for a long time, only coming out to heal the odd lowbie run through Scarlet Monastery and grabbing a level here and there. Anyways, while it is great to be leveling so quickly, the majority of the enjoyment comes from having Kazi there and how well our characters work together.

You see, I’m leveling Zulrea as elemental. From what I’ve gleaned from others, enhancement is the preferred leveling spec and probably for good reason…you can take more hits. I choose elemental because I figured this would be the closest I ever get to playing a caster and I wanted to try something other than melee after having leveled Saraku for so long. And I also knew the elemental would be a good off-healer when the situation needed it. We’ve actually discovered that this is a great combination to have with Kazi’s warlock Basi, who’s specced Affliction.

In general, our fights go something like this: We find a bunch of mobs, the more there are the better. Kazi starts dotting them up while I throw around a couple Earth Shocks and maybe some Lightning Bolts (usually on the target that’s being taunted by Kazi’s voidwalker because I’m pretty squishy despite all my mail gear). Once Kazi has them all gathered up, he uses his voidwalker bubble (the name of the spell eludes me) and starts using Hellfire. I can usually get off a Chain Lightning before his bubble wears off and he starts taking damage. Then I throw him a heal and by the time that’s done, his Hellfire has killed everything. He uses Life Tap to regain his mana and I heal him to full health again. That way he never runs out of health and mana, and the mana regen for an elemental shammy is so good that this all barely makes a dent in my mana pool (I’m fondly referred to as his mana battery :) ). Then off we run to our next set of victims. I believe our record for the amount of mobs we can take on at once is 12 or 13 16 or possibly more as Kazi pointed out. I can count on one hand the number of times we have died since we partnered up. Who would have thought that a shaman and a warlock would go so well together?

Hellfire + Healer is OP but I'm not gonna complain

Hellfire + Healer is OP but I'm not gonna complain

It’s also very amusing to hear Kazi cackle manically over vent when he sucks the soul out of a particularly annoying mob. I laugh every time.

1. Posted November 6, 2009 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Heheh, I do love being with my healer, and the levels certainly seem to be flying past. :) The voidwalked spell is called Sacrifice, by the way, and (puts on still kind of new-looking Grumpy Old-Timer hat) back when I started playing, it would instantly kill your voidie instead of hurting it a little. That would put a little damper on our shenanigans. Also, Drain Soul only procced if the creature died, we didn’t have any of these fancy heirlooms and we fought our quest mobs uphill in the hail and sleet and we didn’t have any friends that played with us and *degenerates into incoherent muttering*

*cough*

Anyway, I do have a picture of what I believe was our best pull ever out on my blog (click my name), where I count at least sixteen mobs our level +0-2 lying dead around us.

This has definitely been the best time I’ve had leveling, and I’m a guy that enjoys his quests. :)

• Posted November 6, 2009 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Oh! Good thing you reminded me about that. :) I’ll make that edit then.

And now that I think about it, I’d have to agree; this is most definitely the most fun I’ve ever had leveling any of my characters. *grins*

• Posted November 6, 2009 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

A point I forgot to put in my first comment: you don’t go enhancement because of survivability, at least not in the 1-60 range. You it because you can 1: kill things using a minimum of mana at low levels and 2: once higher levels come, you will never out of mana, thanks to Shamanisitc Rage and Improved Stormstrike.

Past 60, Maelstrom and spirit wolves do help buff survival and certainly help kill elites solo, but at lower levels the large mana pools and spellpower of Elemental shaman mean that they can actually survive quite a bit more than Enhancement. Which, given that they’re the caster spec, speaks a bit about the low levels of Enhancement. >.<

• Posted November 6, 2009 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Maybe I just feel squishy because I’m used to playing hunters and pallies. >.>

That and you’re always talking about being a shammy tank. :P

• Posted November 6, 2009 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Yeah, low-level shaman are painfully squishy. Even at higher levels, they aren’t that great. “Shaman tanking” works-poorly-when I’m only being tapped lightly and/or I have Shamanistic Rage up, plus the healer is awake. ;)

Compared to a pet tank or being a paladin (/whisper Nerf!), shaman of any stripe are best fighting one to at best three mobs if they’re alone-we just don’t have great mitigation or good avoidance. Remember Kazi’s talk of suicide runs? That was the only way to drop quest mobs that had a pair of guards well into his 60s-blow all your cooldowns and hope the guy drops before you do. No CC, a terrible mana pool, and no armor or shield meant you pretty much just had to take it.

Far better days now, of course. :D

2. Xian
    Posted November 8, 2009 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Leveling a shaman is fun. I went elemental all the way and my dps seems to stack depending on the number of people I have with me and the health pool of the mob.

Example: 40-man raid on Thrall. I check recount at the end of the fight and I have topped damage done AND dps for that fight, hovering around 5k+. This of course isn’t JUST Thrall, but his elite guards as well as Vol’Jin (troll boss guy that likes to hex people). So, if it were just thrall alone that was counted, my dps probably would have been somewhere in the 3.5-4k range. This is in mostly heroic blues/epics, as I did that raid prior to entering Naxxramas and claiming my t8 pieces via badges.

• Posted November 9, 2009 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Hehe…maybe once Zulrea hits level 80, I can start out-dpsing Kazi’s main ;)

As a side note: you killed Thrall?! You little bugger :P

• Posted November 9, 2009 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

<.< I will extend the same words to you as to Jorgath:

Bring it! ;)

• Posted November 9, 2009 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

*grins* Careful what you wish for, hon.

• Posted November 9, 2009 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Hey, worst that happens is I get bumped down and we have yet another awesome DPS. Win-win!

3. Posted November 9, 2009 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Hehe, glad you’re enjoying your shammy. They are fun, but painfully squishy for mail-wearers.

Hope to see you around soon!
    .-= Kotabear’s last blog… The Details =-.

• Xian
      Posted November 9, 2009 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

They are painfully squishy because they have the lowest base health pool of any class. Once you figure out how to play the spec you chose, it becomes slightly easier.

Last time I raided on my shammy, the only person to beat me in dps was an arcane mage from a guild that (I am fairly certain) ran 25 naxx/ulduar frequently.

As it stands, my alliance guild (an RP guild) doesn’t have the numbers online at our raid times for a 25 attempt, so we generally run with any guilds that will let us tag along.

• Posted November 9, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

*huggles Kotabear* I’ll be glad when you and Lin get back online :D

It’s funny that you mention that about health pools because Zulrea always has more max health than Basia despite them being the same level. It must be the stamina from her gear.

4. Pookii
    Posted December 3, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Hmm. Hello? Where are you?

• Xian
      Posted December 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

I ees here.. idk why, but I ees here.

• Pookii
        Posted December 4, 2009 at 4:51 am | Permalink

But… but…. but you haven’t posted in a while. :(

I’m going through withdrawals here…

• Pookii
        Posted December 4, 2009 at 4:53 am | Permalink

Hmm. Just realized that wasn’t Faeldray replying.
        Well, glad to know someone else is hanging around, waiting for the next post :)

• Posted December 4, 2009 at 8:01 am | Permalink

I’m alive! I swear!

• Xian
          Posted December 4, 2009 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

How do you get Faeldray out of Xian? :o

• Pookii
            Posted December 4, 2009 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Er… you don’t, lol. I saw someone had replied and I was in such a rush, I neglected to read to name.
            >.>