I have a dream

Ladies and gentlemen…I have a dream. I dream of a world where new players are not completely confused by the talent system. Where they will know that being a tank is more than wearing plate, or being a healer is more than having a mana pool. Where the new DPS will know what the words “rotation” and “priority” mean. And most importantly of all, where they…will know…not to stand in the fire!

Klepsacovic’s post that I linked to up there has given me the inspiration for this. Should Blizzard make the talents more informative? Oh yes, it certainly wouldn’t hurt. How about the knowledge of what spells to use in what situation? Or what on Azeroth is making their pet attack every killable mob in sight? (Pssssst, I think he’s set on aggressive.)

Regardless of what Blizzard should or should not have done, the present situation is that World of Warcraft can be a little bit of a hard place to comprehend. Heck, every time I try out a new class, I look for guidance. But some new players don’t know where to look for help. They don’t know about all the wonderful blogs and databases and wikis out there that are more than happy to explain these things to them.

So bring the information to them.

Become a mentor to someone or many someones. In the very least, teach them how to help themselves. Point them in the direction of wowhead, thottbot, or wowwiki. Give them a site where they can learn a good leveling spec and what abilities are useful for them.

If you know their class intimately, tell them all you can about it. Analyze their gear and talents, and what abilities they use. Are you an RP or PvP pro? Offer to show them the ropes.

Don’t just let them convince you to run them through a dungeon. They may gain a level but they learn nothing in the end. Don’t let them hound you to help them with every quest either, that will do neither of you good.

So make a mentor macro and use it in a lowbie zone. Optionally include your blog URL (or favorite blogger’s URL if you don’t have one) if you want the extra visitors. Or find a single player who looks like they’re pretty new and offer your services.

So spread the words to other bloggers and readers and just about anyone you want. Blizzard may have made this game, but we are the ones who make up the community, the core of the WoW world. So let’s make it a little better.

1. Mel
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 5:38 am | Permalink

Mentoring is fun! I started with mentoring newbie RPers a while ago and during the process I also ended up explaining a lot of the pretty unintuitive stuff about talents etc.

The best thing, though, is seeing your former newbies go on and start mentoring, too. Makes me feel like a first-time granny with her new grandchild. 🙂

• Posted March 23, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Awesome! You're way ahead of me then. 😉

Keep up the great work!

2. Xianghua
    Posted March 24, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

I am amazed at the number of poorly specc'd pally tanks there are out there. It makes me cringe every time I see a prot pally specc'd into Stoicism (reduced stun duration) improved hammer of justice (reduced CD on ability). Basically their thoughts seem to be "oh, protection is the tanking tree, I should put all my points in there!"

I make it a point to mention that pvp talents are worthless for actual PvE tanking, and give them tips to adjust their spec. Giving them the best spec for prot pallys, which is 0/53/18.

The same is true of DK tanks. While in Outlands, yes, they can mostly just pop frost presence and be good for tanking, most assume that you MUST be frost spec in order to tank. However, like the prot pallys, 90% of them pump all of their points into the frost tree. Yes, any DK spec can tank, provided you put points into the right things. I personally prefer blood spec tank because the "rotation" is extremely easy.

Basically: If I see a "failtank", I will do my best to aid them.

• Posted March 24, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

I never quite understood putting all your talent points into a single tree but perhaps that's because I've never played a class where that was advisable (I think that there's some specs that are like that…).

Either way, keep up the good work!

3. Posted March 24, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Very nice post, Faeldray…inspired my latest post. Well, that and the draenai shaman who made me ashamed of my class for the first time ever. Frostbrand on a dagger/shield combo for an enhancement shaman?

My recent post Totems 101: Enhancement (OOC)

• Posted March 24, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Don't forget how he kept pulling before the tank AKA me, even after I asked him to stop it. Maybe he thought it was okay because the "healer" was doing the same…

One Trackback

1. […] my lovely and talented Faeldray has written up something interesting, and based on that and the shaman I had the…dubious […]