Whiny Post Day

Today is St. Patty’s Day (AKA the day that Faeldray spends like every other day because she does not drink alcohol. Shocking, isn’t it? I must be 1 in 1000 at least.) It has also been declared Whiny Post Day. I do love Righteous Orbs’ whiny post.

Now I certainly hope that I don’t whine too much most of the time but you know what? Today’s the one day where I will just not care. So now all of you lovely readers will get to hear me rant about some things that have been bugging the hell out of me. Be warned, there will be some swearing. Let the complaining begin!

Still here, eh? You must really want to know what’s on my mind. Well, let’s get started.

People who don’t play with mods and/or macros and are proud of it

Now, I will start off by saying that this does not apply to everyone who doesn’t use mods or macros. Hell, there are some awesome players who can do without and they have my utmost respect because they can do all that shit at once. They can buff flawlessly, do their rotations without mistakes, and heal using the F-keys while interrupting that nasty spell the boss is casting and not standing in the bad stuff. These people have my kudos and should be awarded multi-tasker of the year. Because seriously…I can’t do all of that. I rely a lot on PallyPower to help me organize my buffs, on ShieldsUp to watch my shaman’s shields, and on numerous macros for my hunter that do everything from my shot rotation to making sure my pet is alive, healed, and fed.

There are also the people who solo for their entire WoW career and only need to work about what happens to them and no one else. So they don’t need mods like Omen or Recount because they’re having fun on their own. Or And there is nothing wrong with that. As well, the people who are stuck playing on older or cheaper computers and just cannot run WoW with addons.

No, the people I’m referring to you have probably come across in a pug 5-man or raid. They are that paladin gives Kings to everyone because it’s too difficult for them to organize their buffs. Or that shaman healer that doesn’t interrupt the nasty debuff the mob is casting because they’re too busy clicking on portraits. Or they are that DPS that is constantly pulling aggro or asking how their damage was because they would never have Omen or Recount installed.

And then they BRAG about it. What the hell are you bragging about? Congratulations, you suck at your job because you’re too damn stubborn to get tools that could HELP YOU. I don’t give a rat’s ass that you’re playing “au naturel” because WE WIPED DUE TO YOUR NEGLECT. For pete’s sake, we’re suppose to be working as a team here. There’s enough void zones and fires on the ground that I don’t want to have to deal with you not being able to pull your weight around. I mean really, I do go through the trouble of installing and setting up PallyPower just right, so I can make sure that I’m giving the right buffs to the right people. And I have mouseover macros for my heals in combination with Grid so I can interrupt if needed.

Mods and macros are absolutely no replacement for skills and knowledge. What they do allow is for you to focus on the million other things that are happening at once. They help to allow the basics of your class to become easier to use, so you can impress everyone with all the other neat tricks you have. You can be a carpenter without electric tools but you become a hell of a lot more efficient when you plug in that circular saw. (Yes, I took some woodworking courses. I’m an awesome gal that way.)

Really, dead people are not going to be impressed by your lack of mods or macros. Even less so when they have to run back to their corpses.

This post has been dedicated to the pug paladin who buffed my hunter with Wisdom and wouldn’t change it. What. The. Hell.

1. Posted March 18, 2010 at 2:18 am | Permalink

You rock, Niqo. You just…. rock.
    .-= Kota’s last blog… Life, Death, and Rebirth =-.

2. Posted March 22, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

I found this while searching for whiny posts, and I have to say, I agree. I have some draft sitting around incomplete which is basically “pally power is not a requirement, but it’s sure convenient!”

• Posted March 22, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

The idea originally was suppose to be a more sensible post about how I don't see the benefit in playing with no mods/macros…but then I found out about Whiny Post Day and ended up making a rant out of it.

Anyways, I completely agree with your statement about PallyPower. I find it so very useful while soloing, 5-manning, or especially raiding. There always seems to be that one paladin in a raid who doesn't have it, so we just sigh a little and tell them to kings everyone while we work out the more complicated combinations of pally buffs. Even if it's not convenient for them, it sure is for the rest of us!

3. Posted March 24, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

I'm with you. Additionally, I also don't drink. I did not celebrate St. Patty's Day. I don't use mods/macros anymore only because I'm lazy. I have omen and recount which allow me to dps and tank to the best of my ability. :) I have all too many times witnessed plate-wearers in CRIT GEAR thinking they could tank. Get some freaking defense please mmmk! :) Thanks for the comment on my blog today. I <3 my kitchen.
    My recent post My Kitchen – Before and After

• Posted March 24, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

You're most welcome. :) I'd say for tanks and dps, Omen and Recount are the minimum of what you should have. Healers I think should at least have mouseover macros so they can keep their target on the boss and see what it's casting, so you know when to get a big heal ready if you can't interrupt it.

• Xianghua
        Posted March 24, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

I have been healing without any sort of healer-specific addons/macros since day 1 of my first level 70 (my main paladin started as holy spec). I never actually healed a raid successfully though, despite appropriate gear. However, as a holy pally, my focus was the tank(s). The only raid fight I attempted to heal was Instructor Rasuvious, with tanks who didn't know how to taunt off each other. Nonetheless, I have not yet needed any healer-specific addons/macros (not that I can create good macros) and have done very well.

• Posted March 24, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

I like to use my mouseover macros and Grid because I don't have the best response time in the first place and like to get every advantage I can for the speed of my heals. Other than that, I find addons like Grid particularly useful because they immediately show me who has what debuffs so I can cleanse them if necessary, which I feel is part of good healing. If you can pick out those debuffs spread amongst the portraits, then kudos to you, man. I sure can't, not if I'm suppose to stay out of void zones at the same time.

I'd say the addons/macros are much more useful on a shaman healer, who can stop half of those nasty things with their interrupts. The best resto shammy that I know (Kazi) uses that technique and after following in his footsteps, I've realized just how helpful it is.

4. Xianghua
    Posted March 26, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

90% of the time in 5mans, only the tank will get the "nasty debuffs", and I am too busy healing them (on my shammy no less) to interrupt, therefore, I must dispel them. Thus why I don't heal raids. 1: my healing set consists of a few actual healer pieces (t9 2set and a few different items), and the rest is actually my caster dps set. Healing a group as a shammy is far easier than it was as a pally (glyphed chain heal ftw), but generally, I stick with elemental.

• Posted March 28, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

It's not my experience that the tank is the only one to get debuffs most of the time. >.> My shaman is also only kitted out in a couple of T9s and the rest are most level 200 epics and blues. Having said that, half the time I'm sitting there doing nothing, just keeping Earth Shield up and throwing Riptide on the warlock when they Lifetap. So I have plenty of time to debuff and I can certainly see the advantages of it.

Before they nerfed Hall of Reflection, my pally tank Saraku paired up with Kazi as a healer were one of the few pairs that could actually get through the first part relatively unscathed. While healing, he would also cleanse the curses I couldn't and I would take the time out of my rotation to get rid of any wicked magical debuffs using a combination of mouseover macros and Grid. Doing this helped enormously, as I noticed a similarly geared pally who didn't cleanse magical debuffs had immense problems tanking the place even with Kazi healing.

• Xianghua
        Posted March 28, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

I always cringe when I see DK tanks in that place. IMO, only pally, druid and warrior tanks have a fairly easy time with tanking the first half of HoR. Though whenever I get that as my daily random on my pally tank, if there is a DK in the group, I tend to ask them to death grip the hunter and mage mobs over to me, just because I'm too busy holding aggro on everything else to throw my shield at them. Druid healers are my favorite for when I tank that place. Decurse + abolish poison = win. I suppose resto shammys can do that too with cleansing totem and cleanse spirit, but nonetheless…

• Posted March 29, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

I think I've only seen pally and warriors tank that place so I can't give my opinion about the others.

As for getting the mobs in range, I use the corner LOS trick and I drop a Consecrate to get aggro on all the mobs once they run to me. It seems to work every time if the rest of the group also stands in the corner. That way I don't have to rely on anyone else pulling them in for me. Although sometimes Kazi uses his Wind Shear to bring in a mage that teleported away from me. And if that doesn't work, I do throw my shield if I have to.

• Xianghua
            Posted March 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

I usually use that method, but I don't always see the casters, and they don't always target me. It's actually very difficult to see anything when you have 5+ mobs stacked on top of you and more are running around attacking random party members, it becomes very hectic. (this is usually around the last wave or two prior to a boss.)