- 4.0 Bare Minimum (changes to stats, raiding, glyphs, etc.)
- 4.0 Glyphs (a complete list)
- 4.0 Gems (conversions and new gems included)
- 4.0.1 Survival (Class) Guides
Now, do yourself a favor and read those over before logging in. Because otherwise you might be like me and panic a little.
I knew a lot was going to change. Of course it’s not until it’s right in front of my face that I realize just how much. Did I mention that I don’t generally like change?
If you do log onto your hunter and are completely overwhelmed, do this:
- Visit a trainer immediately and learn everything available to you. (It helps if you visit the right city too.)
- Then you can visit the stable master and fix your pet setup. (I had a spirit beast as one of my active pets despite being untalented, and Blacky was in the inactive pets.)
- If you used a macro to call out your pet, this has now changed. The command is now “/cast Call Pet 1” (or 2 or 3 or 4). So put your favorite pet in the first slot and call him/her.
- Read the tooltips for all your abilities and place the useful ones (for you) on your bars.
- Work on setting up your talents. You can use one of the hunter guides listed under the class guides link, or use this BM spec or this MM spec as a general guideline.
- Visit a target dummy (if you can find one that’s free) and go to town on it.
Of course when I first logged on, my brain went in about a million directions as to things I needed to do so I was just standing there paralyzed with choice for a little while. Don’t be like me.
Random thoughts I had over the duration of the evening
- Oh god, my UI has exploded.
- Where did all my macros go? Oh, they just removed them from the bars. Now I can’t remember where they all went.
- Where are all my abilities? Oh god, they removed that many of them?
- Oh god, Dalaran hurts my framerates.
- Oooooh, water is very shiny.
- Where’s my pet? WHERE DID YOU PUT BLACKY?!
- Oh, she’s in the stables.
- What are these new spells?
- Did the ground just shake? O.o
- Why do half of my macros not work? Dear lord I have a lot of macros.
- God, half my addons don’t work and my screen looks like it threw up on itself.
- Note to self: WoW likes to crash or not log me in if I activate too many addons, especially ones that are deemed “out-of-date”.
- Oh, is THAT what the default UI looks like again?
- OOOooooo, shiny water.
- Talents aren’t terribly bad to figure out but I still feel a little lost.
- I feel REALLY lost when it comes to my rotation/shot priority. *mashes buttons*
- The ground shook again. I wonder if there’s anything else going on elsewhere…
- I’m utterly confused by this new glyph interface. And I feel naked missing some glyphs.
- *jumps over to scribe* I think I know them all? At least I hope so. How would I learn more?
- Bah, I forgot to make majors. Ah well, none of them are particularly useful outside of the Bestial Wrath one.
- Back to searching for a target dummy. But hey, at least I’m in Thunderbluff and not Orgrimmar.
- WAIT! I need to go tame some pets! Woohoo for gigantic stables!
- And I curiously have no clue what I really want to tame. Let’s start off with a ghost sabre!
Unfortunately I had to work today so I couldn’t stay up for any more experimentation/go on a taming spree. I have however been scouting out new UI layouts (since my old one is apparently broken and discontinued anyways) so I’ll be working on that tonight. Hopefully more on that in a couple of days.
In the meanwhile, I hope you all are having luck installing the patch and getting into the game to check everything out. Just remember: Don’t Panic and carry a towel!
(Yes, I am a huge geek.)